FreeBSD Port: observium-0.11.5.2261_1

A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Sat Jul 5 19:36:28 UTC 2014

David Hunt wrote:

> [[root at NAS /usr/ports/net-mgmt/observium]# pkg search -f observium
> [root at NAS /usr/ports/net-mgmt/observium]# pkg update
> Updating repository catalogue
> [root at NAS /usr/ports/net-mgmt/observium]# pkg search -f observium
> [root at NAS /usr/ports/net-mgmt/observium]#
>

> The above suggests to me that it is not in the package repository at
> all .. does this mean I just go in to the port and do a “make
> install”?
> I thought the point of packages was to have pre-compiled binary … ready
> to run?  I am guessing that this one has not been built for the install
> method then?

The two most obvious possibilities I can think of are:
a) the repository is being specified incorrectly;
b) there is indeed no binary package for this port-architecture-version
   combination.

Does pkg search provide information about other packages, of which we can
be pretty sure they must be in the repository, e.g. vim or portmaster?

If so, there is probably no package for your port. However, you might be
able to use a different repository, e.g. use -RELEASE packages on a
-STABLE system. Surely there are people on the ports@ list who can tell
you which is the best repository to use in that case.

And yes, if there is no package for your port-architecture-version combo
you can try building manually from the ports tree.

AvW

--
Imbibo, ergo sum.