Future of (upstream unmaintained) sysutils/autopsy port

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 3 02:05:07 UTC 2014

On 3/07/2014 10:39 AM, Dylan Leigh wrote:
> From the ports-expiring-soon messages:
>> portname:           sysutils/autopsy
>> maintainer:         ports at FreeBSD.org
>> deprecated because: Unmaintained interactive port
>> expiration date:    2014-08-20
>> build errors:       none.
>> overview:           http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/portoverview.py?category=sysutils&portname=autopsy
>
> I am considering taking maintainership of sysutils/autopsy to
> save it. I have used Autopsy before for a forensics course and
> have some old saved "cases". The port is already staged and
> could be made non-interactive easily.
>
> On the other hand, I strongly discourage anyone from actually
> using Autopsy except to read old files/cases.
>
> The cross-platform version is no longer maintained (new version
> 3 is Windows only) and was last updated in 2010. Even then it
> had serious flaws and is less capable than the commandline tools
> it interfaces with (sysutils/sleuthkit). I always suggest that
> the SleuthKit tools be used directly instead, but there are some
> students who are too scared of the commandline and want to use
> Autopsy because it provides a GUI.
>
> So there are some good reasons for depreciating it which have nothing
> to do with the port itself being unmaintained + interactive.
>
> Is there any policy on keeping ports where upstream is not
> maintained and the software itself is depreciated (except to
> open and export old files)? Do we still want to keep such a port
> in the active tree?

Dylan,

tldr: If a port is maintained (has a maintainer, and can keep up with
framework changes if required), it is welcome.

If you would like to take maintainership, please create a Bugzilla issue
to that affect and reply here with the issue ID, so that someone can
commit the change for you.

--
koobs