What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

Bernhard Fröhlich decke at bluelife.at
Sat Jan 25 12:13:43 UTC 2014

Am 25.01.2014 02:12 schrieb "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>:

> > I think you've got me wrong - I am following freebsd-virtualization list
> > very closely, and the matter I've touched here is not my doubt on which
> > technology I should use, but rather a complaint on the state of jails
> > related tools directly leading to the delays in handling of ports
related
> > PR's. I know the technology alternatives, I am decided to jails for a
> > reason, and I also know your work on the web interface focusing on
bhyve,
> > but its not about it.
> >

> My point is writing scripts for VM's is easier (nothing more then copy the
> master and then do a normal make install/portmaster on the port of you
> choice [better to run them one at a time I have found).  When I get into
> port testing I usually have 3 VM's on the host working on compiling and 1
> for development.   I have yet to find a good way to have 4 jails running
as
> independentlu.

This thread has taken a different direction at some point so I want to
throw in another view.

We already have all that build testing stuff around for various FreeBSD
versions with enough hardware resources and production ready and free for
all. It's called redports.org and I have even already created scripts that
monitor the gnats database for ports PRs with patches, fetch them, apply
them to the redports repository and schedule jobs for it.

So it is all there and the reason why it isn't running already are
political ones because I also proposed to automatically send followup mails
to the PR with the buildlog status.

http://code.google.com/p/redports/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fscripts