What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

Big Lebowski spankthespam at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 12:35:41 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Bernhard Fröhlich <decke at bluelife.at>wrote:

> Am 25.01.2014 02:12 schrieb "Aryeh Friedman" <aryeh.friedman at gmail.com>:
>

> > > I think you've got me wrong - I am following freebsd-virtualization
> list
> > > very closely, and the matter I've touched here is not my doubt on which
> > > technology I should use, but rather a complaint on the state of jails
> > > related tools directly leading to the delays in handling of ports
> related
> > > PR's. I know the technology alternatives, I am decided to jails for a
> > > reason, and I also know your work on the web interface focusing on
> bhyve,
> > > but its not about it.
> > >

> > My point is writing scripts for VM's is easier (nothing more then copy
> the
> > master and then do a normal make install/portmaster on the port of you
> > choice [better to run them one at a time I have found).  When I get into
> > port testing I usually have 3 VM's on the host working on compiling and 1
> > for development.   I have yet to find a good way to have 4 jails running
> as
> > independentlu.
>
> This thread has taken a different direction at some point so I want to
> throw in another view.
>
> We already have all that build testing stuff around for various FreeBSD
> versions with enough hardware resources and production ready and free for
> all. It's called redports.org and I have even already created scripts
> that monitor the gnats database for ports PRs with patches, fetch them,
> apply them to the redports repository and schedule jobs for it.
>
> So it is all there and the reason why it isn't running already are
> political ones because I also proposed to automatically send followup mails
> to the PR with the buildlog status.
>
> http://code.google.com/p/redports/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fscripts

That sounds great! It would be awesome to introduce both solutions
(automated testing and screening roles with new volunteers - we already
have two of those) to improve the process. However, I hate when I hear
'politics' in open source projects. Could you be more specific and name the
problem, if you mentioned it?

B.