Blanket approval to modernize the Ports Tree

Fabian Keil freebsd-listen at fabiankeil.de
Tue Jan 21 14:47:45 UTC 2014

FreeBSD Ports Management Team Secretary <portmgr-secretary at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> In years gone by, and I am thinking of FreeBSD 7.0 specifically, portmgr@
> gave some latitude to *ALL* committers to "just fix things" to get a port
> into shape.  In the case of 7.0, it was making ports build for gcc4.
>
> What we have laying ahead of us is a ports tree in various states of modern
> preparedness (new style USES=, stagefication, etc) and the old way of doing
> ports (boo!).
>
> We would like committers, and contributors to generate a PR and/or "just
> fix" the old ports to update them to the new way of doing things regardless
> of maintainership.  We are looking for fixes in the following areas
>
> - Convert to LIB_DEPENDS
> - stagify ports
> - convert things like USE_GMAKE -> USES=gmake USE_DOS2unix -> USES=dos2unix
>   etc.

I noticed a couple of commits that add LICENSE statements without
mentioning maintainer approval in the commit log.

Could you please clarify if that's covered by "etc."?

I was under the impression that the LICENSE "framework" was still
optional and I'm currently intentionally not using it. IMHO it isn't
properly documented and especially the legal aspects aren't clear.

Fabian