Support for pkg_*

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Thu Feb 27 00:28:44 UTC 2014

On 26/02/2014 3:34 AM, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 03:11:44PM +0100, A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven wrote:
>> Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
>>
>>> Has support for the pkg_* suite of tools gone away?
>> As someone already stated, the pkg_* tools are no longer in FreeBSD 10,
>> but they are still available (and default) on 9.2-RELEASE and earlier.
>>
>>> tar: man/man1/CA.pl.1.gz: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
>>> tar: man/man1/asn1parse.1.gz: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
>>> tar: man/man7/des_modes.7.gz: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
>> Please forgive me the pavlov reaction that I get from "Cannot stat: bla
>> bla bla", but that actually smells more like a staging issue to me. Have
>> you tried adding
>>
>> NO_STAGE=yes
>>
>> to the port's Makefile and trying again?
>>
> Can we stop advertising the above, this is completly wrong, it hides the dust
> behind the carpet and won't fix anything!
>
> The said port is needed a fix.
>
> regards,
> Bapt
A.J,
Thank-you for your suggestion.  I hadn't considered, but reluctantly did
try NO_STAGE=yes with both rsync and openssl, it made no difference, the
packages failed with tar stat failures.

I believe that PREFIX=/usr is not supported, per
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=183669.

So I'll need to review how servers are built & updated given that many
are already deployed (in the meantime, I'll revert the packages needed
in /usr and try to maintain separately in support of customers -
disappointing)

Ref: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=187076

Dewayne.