[SOLVED] Re: Issues with postmaster after freebsd-update

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Mon Feb 24 06:32:20 UTC 2014

On 13 Feb 2014, at 16:39 , LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
> I was running FreeBSD 8-2 and used freebsd-update to update:

OK, so final resolution:

I reran freebsd update from the start and was still having problems. I made a couple of mistakes along the way (php55 and gcc49 seemed to be the most egregious of these) and finally got into a situation where the reasonable solution seemed to be:

postmaster --list-origins (for reference)
pkg_delete -a
rm -r /var/db/pgk/*

and just reinstall the ports I need. I’m sure I have some binaries and libraries lying around that are not referenced in any ports that are installed, but honestly I don’t think there’s that many. Just compiling mysql-client and server and apache24 covered 90% of what was needed.

As it turned out, this solved quite a few little problems (like for some reason a hebrew spelling package kept getting installed).

Now, of course, the next step is to move up from 8.4-RELEASE before it reaches EOL (which I think is next year in June?).

Hopefully that will go a lot smother.

Any recommendation on what I should move to? 9.2 is what I was thinking since I know 10 has a *lot* of changes (no more bind, for one).

--
Real magic is the hand around the bandsaw, the thrown spark in the
powder keg, the dimension-warp linking you straight into the heart of a