Why would a port use its own existence as an excuse to fail install?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Sun Feb 16 03:48:30 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 07:31:19PM -0800 I heard the voice of
David Wolfskill, and lo! it spake thus:

> So that "Installing qt4-clucene-4.8.5...pkg-static:
> qt4-clucene-4.8.5 conflicts with qt4-clucene-4.8.5 (installs files
> into the same place).  Problematic file:
> /usr/local/lib/qt4/libQtCLucene.la" is what I was going on about.
> That really seems like about the lamest excuse for failing an
> install that I could imagine....

Actually, it's an excellent excuse.  Installing it when it's already
installed is shupid.  What's lame is that it's not _realizing_ it's
already installed, and failing to try and uninstall it first.

And I think that's a problem across several qt4 ports, due to some
renaming along the line that did something like change them from
qt4-xyz to xyz-qt4 or the like.  A 'pkg check -d' on my workstation
since I pkg2ng'd blows up a bunch of errors alone those lines:

x11/kdelibs4 has a missing dependency: x11/qt4-opengl
x11/kdelibs4 has a missing dependency: textproc/qt4-clucene
x11/kdelibs4 has a missing dependency: devel/qt4-qtestlib
x11/kdelibs4 has a missing dependency: devel/qt4-declarative
[ various other kde/qt bits in the same pattern ]

% pkg info | grep -E 'qt4-(opengl|clucene|qtestlib|declarative)'
qt4-clucene-4.8.5              QtCLucene full text search library wrapper
qt4-declarative-4.8.5          Qt4 framework for building highly dynamic user interfaces
qt4-opengl-4.8.5               Qt OpenGL library
qt4-qtestlib-4.8.5             Qt unit testing library

% pkg info qt4-clucene
qt4-clucene-4.8.5
Name           : qt4-clucene
Origin         : textproc/clucene-qt4

Note the Origin of textproc/clucene-qt4 where kdelibs4 is expecting to
find textproc/qt4-clucene.  So I'd guess the same sorta thing is
making portmaster try to _install_ it for you, rather than _upgrading_
it.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net