USE_GCC politic -- why so many ports has it as runtime dependency?

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Sat Feb 8 10:32:05 UTC 2014

On 2/8/2014 11:26, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Individual examples aside, I recollect that one of the selling points
> for STAGING, together with pkgNG, was that we would later have the
> chance to split up one build into multiple binary packages.
>
> Not sure what other changes to the infrastructure are required
> (Mk/bsd.port.mk needs to be taught to build more than one package from
> the STAGEDIR), but it's not impossible that we'll see features as Lev
> desires, later, as "perhaps in 2015".
>
> And libgcc_s is a dependency you get on practically every port that is
> compiled with a newer GCC.

Are you sure this is still true?  Now that FreeBSD supports
dl_iterate_phdr (and has for a few years now), gcc exceptions are
handled through rtld, not libgcc_s.  I suspect that newer FreeBSD
releases have packages without this linked library.  Is there another
reason to see libgcc_s used these days?

John