USE_GCC politic -- why so many ports has it as runtime dependency?

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Feb 8 10:26:27 UTC 2014

Individual examples aside, I recollect that one of the selling points
for STAGING, together with pkgNG, was that we would later have the
chance to split up one build into multiple binary packages.

Not sure what other changes to the infrastructure are required
(Mk/bsd.port.mk needs to be taught to build more than one package from
the STAGEDIR), but it's not impossible that we'll see features as Lev
desires, later, as "perhaps in 2015".

And libgcc_s is a dependency you get on practically every port that is
compiled with a newer GCC.

And knowing that we come from source builds, getting binary packages
optimized to the point where most people are happy is still some way to go.