security/luasec needs bump to 0.5 - but there's no direct maintainer?

Benjamin Podszun dar at darklajid.de
Fri Feb 7 13:50:58 UTC 2014

Hi.

Change of mail address, new thread with a decent title (previously: prosody
update, which is sort of independent as far as I've confirmed so far).

With the attached patch luasec-0.5 builds & installs fine in my
environment.

IF (capitals used for a reason..) I understand the following output
correctly, there's just one (known) consumer for that port:

#pkg info -r lua51-luasec
lua51-luasec-0.4:
	prosody-0.9.2

(where prosody in this case is already bumped to the last release, I'm
trying to push that in [1], as a follow-up to a 0.9.1 bump that never
landed)

Would it be correct to assume that therefor the risk in bumping luasec is
quite small, especially since I'm successfully _running_ prosody [2] using
that port?

Being utterly clueless: What's the right procedure to move forward,
especially without a dedicated maintainer for that thing? Hoping for a
sponsor on this list? Should I stop the discussion here and send a PR
instead - hoping that someone accepts that one?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ben

1: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/182075

2: This instance is nothing but a 'do these ports run' deployment, but
2.1 c2s results:
https://xmpp.net/result.php?domain=dar-klajid.de&type=client
2.2 s2s results:
https://xmpp.net/result.php?domain=dar-klajid.de&type=server

Basically this means that client and server connections work AND encryption
(which is the whole point of using luasec in the first place) works quite
well/gets great scores w/ the right configuration. Haven't looked into PFS
support yet, but .. that's a different issue.