[FreeBSD-Ports-Announce] Time to bid farewell to the old pkg_ tools

Christopher J. Ruwe cjr at cruwe.de
Thu Feb 6 14:56:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 15:49:24 +0100
Matthias Apitz <guru at unixarea.de> wrote:

> El día Thursday, February 06, 2014 a las 02:36:30PM +0100,
> Christopher J. Ruwe escribió:
>
> > On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 23:26:18 -0800
> > Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If you use poudriere, you can roll your own packages with custom
> > > options and maintain things pretty reasonably, but for a single
> > > system (or two), this is a bit of overkill. As things stand, this
> > > is a real pain to use customized ports and packages from the
> > > standard FreeBSD distributions. I'm waiting with great excitement
> > > for this to appear, though I have no idea if it is near or far.
> >
> > I really don't think so. Even with a single machine, poudriere
> > literally saved my a.. pretty bottom several times breaking on
> > implicit dependencies which would have popped up ages later with
> > nasty and difficult to trace problems/errors.
> >
> > I think anybody who compiles from ports should _really_ use
> > poudriere. I even think it should be strongly suggested in the
> > handbook. (I'd be willing to write that up for that matter.)
>
> Please point me to the existing documentation. I don't see the string
> "poudriere" in our handbook.
>
> Thx
>
> 	matthias

I wrote "it should be suggested", which means that I think it would be
a good idea, not that it already happened.

I do not understand how that could be misunderstood.

Cheers,
--
Christopher
TZ:         GMT + 1h

FreeBSD 9.2-STABLE #1 r256184: Thu Oct 10 19:12:54 CEST 2013
cjr at dijkstra.cruwe.de:/usr/obj/usr/home/cjr/media/src/freebsd/base/stable/9/sys/GEN_WDTRACE

Punctuation matters:
"Lets eat Grandma." or "Lets eat, Grandma." - Punctuation saves lives.
"A panda eats shoots and leaves." or "A panda eats, shoots, and
leaves." - Punctuation teaches proper biology.

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not
necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead." (RFC 1925)