libiconv on 10.0-RELEASE

nano nanotek at bsdbox.co
Sat Feb 1 07:14:33 UTC 2014

On 1/02/2014 6:03 PM, Guido Falsi wrote:
> On 02/01/14 07:53, nano wrote:
>> Seems to be some issues with it:
>> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644
>> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44659
>>
>> And my problem:
>> https://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44658
>>
>> Can't do UPDATING: 20130904, libiconv has never been on the system.
>>
>> Not sure whether to allow portmaster to upgrade[*]. Pretty sure
>> something will break if I do. What do you suggest?
>
> Hi,
>
> Since then a new commit has changed things a little, it's r341775 [1]
>
> It now allows libiconv to be installed by a few selected ports who
> really need functionality not available in the base implementation of
> iconv.
>

>> [*]
>> # portmaster -adwv
>> ===>>> All >> (4)
>>
>> ===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
>>          Upgrade php55-iconv-5.5.8 to php55-iconv-5.5.8_1
>>          Install converters/libiconv
>>          Upgrade nginx-1.4.4_2,1 to nginx-1.4.4_3,1
>>          Upgrade owncloud-6.0.0a to owncloud-6.0.1
>>
>> ===>>> Proceed? y/n [y] n
>>

>  From what I see here I think you can allow it to do that without
> problems for now. I've seen two PRs stating problems with some ports.
>
> The PRs I've indicate that, after such a step, glib20 and exim fail to
> build. These problems need fixing at present.
>
> This applies only to ports compiled on the live system, if one is using
> poudriere or tinderbox they can build anyway(so binary packages have no
> problems), this happens because when using these software each port is
> compiled in a clean environment.
>
> [1] http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=341775

Hi, Guido. Thanks for your response.

Not sure about this users particular situation, except that it appears
they are experiencing some problems compiling libiconv [0]. Another user
seems to be experiencing problems (re)installing php5x-iconv, which has
rendered something broken [1]. This makes me reluctant to proceed with
my upgrades for fear that similar will occur.

Also, I'm not usng svn, but portsnap; don't know if it matches r341775.

I appreciate your advice, but I think I will wait before updating these
ports. Hopefully things get cleaned up a bit. I would not be happy if
something breaks.

[0] http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44644&p=248807#p248731
[1] http://forums.freebsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44659#p248806

--