Emacs 24.4_4,3 does not build - png error?

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Sun Dec 28 01:45:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 09:31:03 -0800
Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hit this same issue. You will need to re-install librsvg2. It has a
> linkage to the old libpng:
> Shared object "libpng15.so.15" not found, required by "librsvg-2.so.2"
> # locate "librsvg-2.so.2"
> /usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2
> /usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2.40.4
> # pkg which /usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2
> /usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2 was installed by package librsvg2-2.40.4

Thank you very much for this hint, it helped me to upgrade
editors/emacs to the latest version.

> I found several ports that had links to the libpng15.so using
> "pkg_libchk -o". That tool is part of sysutils/bsdadminscripts. I
> have found it to be very rigorous and trust it a bit more than "pkg
> check -B". I did drop bapt a note listing the ports I found linked to
> libpng15.so, but I may have missed librsvg2 as I hit that one very
> early in the process. --

Hm, I have followed png hints in UPDATING suggesting that rebuilding all
packages found by

# pkg info -r png

would be sufficient. Though this lists emacs24 as well, a check like:

# pkg info -d emacs24
# pkg info -d librsvg2

does not reveal librsvg2 depending on png. I have learned now that
package dependencies do not go along with depenencies of shared libs.

The command

# pkg check -B

is new to me. A direct analyse of shared libs does not show any
problems on my system. But due to your recommendation I will have to
install and use sysutils/bsdadminscripts to get more detailed
information.

In the meantime I am interested to read what bapt is going to recommend
as part of the png upgrade.

And last but not least I am glad having asked the list before creating
an unnecessary PR for editors/emacs.

Regards,
Peter