Emacs 24.4_4,3 does not build - png error?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 17:31:04 UTC 2014

On Sat, Dec 27, 2014 at 5:00 AM, Dr. Peter Voigt <pvoigt at uos.de> wrote:

> I am on 10.1-RELEASE (amd64) and cannot uprade my current Emacs version:
>
> # pkg version |grep -i "^emacs"
> emacs24-24.4_3,3                   <
>
> Build attempt:
> # portmaster --no-confirm --no-term-title -D -G emacs24
> checking for grantpt... yes
> checking for getpt... no
> checking for posix_openpt... yes
> checking for library containing tputs... no
> configure: error: The required function `tputs' was not found in any
> library. The following libraries were tried (in order):
>   libtinfo, libncurses, libterminfo, libtermcap, libcurses
> Please try installing whichever of these libraries is most appropriate
> for your system, together with its header files.
> For example, a libncurses-dev(el) or similar package.
> ===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
> Please report the problem to ashish at FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach
> the "/usr/ports/editors/emacs/work/emacs-24.4/config.log" including the
> output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good
> idea to provide an overview of all packages installed on your system
> (e.g. a /usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/ports/editors/emacs
>
> ===>>> make build failed for editors/emacs
> ===>>> Aborting update
>

> ===>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this command line:
>        portmaster <flags> editors/emacs
>
> And the corresponding
> /usr/ports/editors/emacs/work/emacs-24.4/config.log messages:
> /usr/bin/ld: warning: libpng15.so.15, needed by
> /usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so, not found (try using -rpath or -rpath-link)
> configure:15496: $? = 0
> configure:15496: ./conftest
> Shared object "libpng15.so.15" not found, required by "librsvg-2.so.2"
> configure:15496: $? = 1
> configure: program exited with status 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h */
> | #define PACKAGE_NAME "emacs"
> | #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "emacs"
> | #define PACKAGE_VERSION "24.4"
> | #define PACKAGE_STRING "emacs 24.4"
> | #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
>
> And my libpng libraries:
> # dir /usr/local/lib/libpng.*
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 10 Dec 26 21:24 /usr/local/lib/libpng.a ->
> libpng16.a
> lrwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 11 Dec 26 21:24 /usr/local/lib/libpng.so ->
> libpng16.so
>
> with:
> # pkg version |grep -i "^png"
> png-1.6.16                         =
>
> I conclude Emacs is does not search for libpng.so but searches for
> whatever reason for libpng15.so.15. This is in contrast to
> http://www.freshports.org/editors/emacs/.
>
> I strongly suppose this is a bug related to latest png update. Can anybody
> please confirm or correct me before I am going to create a PR.

I hit this same issue. You will need to re-install librsvg2. It has a
linkage to the old libpng:
Shared object "libpng15.so.15" not found, required by "librsvg-2.so.2"
# locate "librsvg-2.so.2"
/usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2
/usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2.40.4
# pkg which /usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2
/usr/local/lib/librsvg-2.so.2 was installed by package librsvg2-2.40.4

I found several ports that had links to the libpng15.so using "pkg_libchk
-o". That tool is part of sysutils/bsdadminscripts. I have found it to be
very rigorous and trust it a bit more than "pkg check -B". I did drop bapt
a note listing the ports I found linked to libpng15.so, but I may have
missed librsvg2 as I hit that one very early in the process.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired