[Patch] Using MACHINE_ARCH identifiers in pkg

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Thu Aug 14 15:35:33 UTC 2014

On 08/14/14 08:02, Bryan Drewery wrote:
> On 5/28/2014 11:54 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>> The current/previous values are also kept so
>> that the patched pkg can install a package marked either with an x86:64
>> or amd64-type architecture ID (symlinks will be needed for a little bit
>> on the package server to allow both clients to work). Limited testing
>> suggests it works well -- I can fetch and install packages fine. More
>> testing would be great.
> Symlinks are now setup to make testing of this easier.
>
> I'll let Bapt signoff on this patch officially and its timeframe. It
> seems reasonable to me. The use of 'x86' almost caused a regression
> recently due to its ambiguity.
>
> Cheers,
> Bryan

Thanks Bryan! If anyone is interested in testing the adapted pkg, there
is a patch that can be applied to ports at
http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/pkg-new-abi.diff. It tries to make
this transition as painless as possible by doing the following things:
1. Have pkg use e.g. FreeBSD:11:amd64 instead of freebsd:11:x86:64 as an
ABI string.
2. Maintain the freebsd:11:x86:64-type strings as the "altabi" config
variable.
3. pkg will install packages where the architecture ID matches either
the ABI or ALTABI value, which means that new pkg can install packages
made with the older version.
4. Patches the ports-mgmt/pkg Makefile so that the package for pkg
itself is given a freebsd:11:x86:64-type architecture. This prevents pkg
from choking on an update to itself and should, with the symlinks
discussed above, make the transition painless and transparent.

Especially point (4) I'd appreciate testing on if anyone is generating
private package repositories.
-Nathan