State of the Porters' Handbook

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Oct 30 19:51:58 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013, Gabor Pali wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
>> We generally don't refer to pkgng in the docs: please use "pkg".
>
> Well, I saw pkg written as "pkgng" in some other section (5.2.2.2.
> "PORTEPOCH") of the Porter's Handbook.  Actually, I prefer to write it
> as pkg(8), but I am not sure if there has been a DocBook entity
> defined for it.

Just checked, and presently there is no man page entity for it.  Using a
man page entity might be questionable anyway: there is no man page for
pkg on FreeBSD 9 and earlier unless ports-mgmt/pkg has been installed.
(I'm not going to mention /usr/sbin/pkg, which should not have been
given the same name because now we can't tell which "pkg" is being
discussed.  See how I didn't mention it there?)

>> Further, I'd put the pkg cases first as the pkg_ tools are deprecated.
>
> I do not think that matters much.

Agreed.  Actually, until pkg_* is deprecated for 9.x and earlier, it is
by far the most common.