State of the Porters' Handbook

Gabor Pali pgj at FreeBSD.org
Wed Oct 30 18:11:20 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Eitan Adler <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
> We generally don't refer to pkgng in the docs: please use "pkg".

Well, I saw pkg written as "pkgng" in some other section (5.2.2.2.
"PORTEPOCH") of the Porter's Handbook.  Actually, I prefer to write it
as pkg(8), but I am not sure if there has been a DocBook entity
defined for it.

> Further, I'd put the pkg cases first as the pkg_ tools are deprecated.

I do not think that matters much.

> + <application>poudriere</application>.  These maintain
>
> Thanks for adding this.

Note this is not complete.  I believe poudriere would finally deserve
an own section in the documentation, somewhere after Tinderbox.

> +      <para>For ports that install kernel modules, the
>
> This should be in a different section specifically about kernel modules.

This is related to staging, that is why it is there.  I did not find
any section on kernel modules, for what it is worth, the expression
"kernel module" occurs only twice in the whole book -- hence I did not
feel myself motivated to start a new section on kernel modules; at
least, not for now.

> + staging) but it is broken (Mailman up to 2.1.16, for instance).
>
> I would not mention specific ports here.  Examples get old quick.

I do not think this situation will change any time soon.

> This looks good overall and thanks for working on it.

Thanks for the feedback.