portupgrade and pkgng (again)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Oct 12 08:26:46 UTC 2013

On 12/10/2013 08:36, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> I have a remote -CURRENT box which i'd rather not src-update now (r248373,
> ca. March).  Apparently it's recent enough to default to pkgng.
>
> I wanted to upgrade some ports of mine today, and installed my favorite
> portupgrade just to discover that it does not see any packages: it seems
> to fail to parse /var/db/pkg/local.sqlite (convert it to its own pkgdb.db)
> and reports that I have nothing installed.

I believe that recent versions of portupgrade use the pkg database
directly, rather than maintaining a parallel pkgdb.db.

> Usual dances with adding WITH_PKGNG to make.conf, pkgdb -fu et al. did not
> help.  Any clues?
>
> One note: I have rather old version of pkg installed, pkg-1.0.7.  I may
> try to forcibly deinstall it and reinstall from ports, but I want to be
> sure doing so won't render my existing package database unusable.  Is it
> safe (and worth) thing to do?

Yes, you definitely should update to an up to date version of pkg.
There's lots of stuff that has changed in parallel with changes to the
ports, and keeping both in synch will produce the best results.

pkg should be able to update your local.sqlite to the current schema
versions -- obviously, backup your /var/db/pkg before you attempt the
update -- but I think it should go pretty smoothly for you.

If you're particularly worried -- use 'pkg create' to generate pkg
tarballs of everything you've got installed, and save the output of 'pkg
info -qoa' (which should just be a list of your installed ports, by
origin).  That means that even if your local.sqlite gets trashed, you
can simply re-install everything against an empty database.  But this
really shouldn't be necessary.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--