NEED_ROOT

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Fri Oct 4 22:00:39 UTC 2013

On 2013-Oct-04 16:45:34 -0500, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>From my reading it appears that one of the goals of STAGE is to allow users
>to build and install ports under their UID.  Are the perms in /usr/ports
>changing?

I hope not.  There's nothing wrong with the current permissions.

>In testing the port that I'm working on, I find that I do not have rights
>to write to /usr/ports/distfiles and I do not have rights to write to
>${WORKDIR}.  That pretty much precludes building the port unless your root.
>No surprise there since the files in /usr/ports are owned by root:wheel.

I've built ports as non-root, with a read-mostly /usr/ports for many
years.  All you need to do is override the defaults:
WRKDIRPREFIX=/tmp
PACKAGES=/where/you/want/packages
DISTDIR=/where/you/want/distfiles

Alternatively, I "chmod 1777 /usr/ports/distfiles" to allow a common
ports tree to be shared amongst multiple systems.  And you can also
use symlinks.

--
Peter Jeremy