sysutils/parallel maintainer: looking for guidance

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Nov 26 08:01:50 UTC 2013

Am 26.11.2013 01:54, schrieb Chris Howey:
> The latest version of parallel (20131122) has added a "Please use the below
> reference to cite parallel" notice that prints a few lines of output to
> stderr when it runs.
>
> User action is required to stop this notice from appearing upon every
> invocation (by running "parallel --bibtex" once).
>
> My concern is that anyone currently running automated scripts using
> parallel may be caught off guard by this, should I keep it anyway, or
> comment it out in a patch?
>
> Maybe a pkg-message, or a note in UPDATING, or is it even worth worrying
> about?

Parallel appears to make efforts to not dump the notice if stderr is
redirected, so if that works, no need to worry.

Note the online citation clause lacks the volume no. (36) and number (1)
in many styles (they are available in the BibTeX snippet though);
personally, I would also double-quote the journal's name due to the
strange ;login: in its name.

If you are worried, you can patch this notice/bib-tex requirement away,
pretending that --no-notice had been given, and have the output of
"parallel --bibtex" and the complete version of "When using GNU parallel
for a publication please cite: O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel..."
displayed through pkg-message.
  You will then need to document that you have changed the program, with
date and your name -- see clauses 5 and 6 in the GPLv3, either in
/usr/ports/Templates/Licenses/GPLv3, or online at
<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0>.