Using RUN_DEPENDS := ${BUILD_DEPENDS} is now a bug

Matthias Andree mandree at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 4 20:10:38 UTC 2013

Chris Rees wrote, whilst quoting Eitan Adler:

>> Ports should *not* assume that BUILD_DEPENDS is clear when initiated
>> and ports should explicitly duplicate RUN_DEPENDS.
>
> Why not?  When is ccache added to BUILD_DEPENDS?  I guess I just don't see
> how this can happen.

/etc/make.conf can make this and other issues happen, but BUILD_DEPENDS
should be added to in the POST phase of bsd.port.mk, then we should be
safe.  If not, then I'd need Eitan to elaborate.

This can become rather awkward if the port uses BSD make, that then
exposes re-reading of /etc/make.conf and user settings can nuke port
settings and cause build failures that are induced locally, and are hard
to track down. Related issue:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/MatthiasAndree/LuaLessonsLearnt

I'd say copying from RUN_DEPENDS to BUILD_DEPENDS must continue to be
supported, else you'll upset me and quite a few other maintainers.

If you are saying "use +=", then someone will have to make sure we don't
exponentially duplicate the contents of the incriminated variables.