Problems with GITHUB pulls

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Wed Jan 30 00:56:42 UTC 2013

On 30/01/2013 07:54, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I maintain the security/barnyard2 port.  It pulls the software from git,
> which is the only place where it's available.

> The problem is, master's commit tag and md5 sum and size have changed.
> I *could* update the port by changing the commit tag and the distino
> file, but that's seems rather kludgy to me.  The version hasn't
> changed.  The developers simply fixed some problems in the software and
> then bumped master to the newer commit.
>
> Is that really the correct way to handle software at git?  If so, am I
> going to be forced to update the port every time the developers make
> minor changes to a version?
>
> Is there a way for me to work around this problem so that the port
> version remains at the stable commit until the version actually gets
> bumped? GH_COMMIT is mandatory, so I can't leave that out.  Yet the git
> tagname has changed.  What's the best way to handle this?

Following the head of a branch is always dynamic. The way to get a
consistent download from github is to use tags. Try the tag v2-1.11

If you want to keep closer to the head of a branch then either get the
devs to tag some stable points along the way or fork your own version
and add tags as you want and use your repo for the port.