Problems with GITHUB pulls

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 21:25:43 UTC 2013

I maintain the security/barnyard2 port.  It pulls the software from git,
which is the only place where it's available.

Here's the relevant portion of the port's Makefile:

USE_GITHUB=     yes
GH_ACCOUNT=     firnsy
GH_PROJECT=     ${PORTNAME}
GH_TAGNAME=     master
GH_COMMIT=     4dfdc80

The problem is, master's commit tag and md5 sum and size have changed.  I
*could* update the port by changing the commit tag and the distino file,
but that's seems rather kludgy to me.  The version hasn't changed.  The
developers simply fixed some problems in the software and then bumped
master to the newer commit.

Is that really the correct way to handle software at git?  If so, am I
going to be forced to update the port every time the developers make minor
changes to a version?

Is there a way for me to work around this problem so that the port version
remains at the stable commit until the version actually gets bumped?
GH_COMMIT is mandatory, so I can't leave that out.  Yet the git tagname has
changed.  What's the best way to handle this?

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst