portsnap - overwrite local changes

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:37:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, 22 Jan 2013 16:59:56 +0100
Oliver Lehmann wrote:

> "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I know when I run it manually and there is a conflict, it will
> > tell me about a merge-conflict and ask me which file to keep (mine
> > or theirs), selecting theirs, afaik, overwrites my local file.
>
> And when there is no conflict and it can be merged, you have a merged
> file. And in some point in time your local /usr/ports is messed up
> with forgotten local changes and so on... I just wanna make sure to
> automatically "clean up" my /usr/ports. CVSup did this :(

Not necessarily correctly. That reverts any modifications, but it wont
necessarily remove files that need to be removed and which may cause
problems if left in place. This is why "portsnap extract" removes port
directories before writing a clean copy.

I presume you could extract a single port if you can't spare the time
for a full extract.