www/opera ISSUE Java Plugin missing

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Fri Jan 18 00:24:48 UTC 2013

On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 16:19:33 -0800 (PST)
Jakub Lach <jakub_lach at mailplus.pl> wrote:

> People actually still use browser java plug-ins/ they actually work?
>
> Life never ceases to amaze.
>
> Seriously though, I see no place for them in modern operating
> systems at all. Awful security record, as well as required only
> by obsolete and broken by design things.
>

> --

Java plug-ins are horrible indeed, unfortunately some entities -
especially business banking - don't get it and still deliver new
applications written for Java-plugins (this happened to us recently, the
original version of the software was HTML and the updated version is in
Java now, it's slow like hell and with all the security leaks around
it's a nightmare to administer people's machines to run dual browser
setups etc.).

For Joe Consumer it's fortunately mostly gone now.

--
Michael Gmelin