Monitoring a switch

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Mon Jan 14 11:01:27 UTC 2013

On 01/08/13 20:02, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2013, at 10:30 AM, Andrea Venturoli wrote:
>> I'm looking for some software which can monitor a SNMP-enabled switch.
>
> Well, it's likely that the switch vendor offers some tools.

That can be, I'll have a look into it; however we have different brands:
I'd like to start with one, but then extend the analysis to all of them.

>> I was wondering though, if there was some more specific tool which might be faster to setup and would do some magic automatically, like computing the total traffic flowing through, identifying bottlenecks, etc...
>
> Sure.  What's your budget?
 >
 > Something like HP's OpenView (which I just learned was rebranded to
"HP Network Management Center"), or Cisco's LAN Management stuff
(evidently also rebranded) do all sorts of nice network discovery and
autoconfig, routing/traffic bottleneck analysis, etc.  They also cost 5
to 6-digit sums, but if you've got multiple WAN links between data
centers to manage, or some complicated VM/cloud architecture, they're
probably worth the price.

It's not "my" budget :)
... but I'm sure it's *very very* far from 5-6 digits :(

> (Of course, if you've just got "a" meaning "one" switch to manage, that would be overkill.)

Actually we have several switches, some of which are non manageable, but
will be upgraded.

  bye & Thanks anyway
	av.