New version of TeX?

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 16 20:42:18 UTC 2013

Chris Rees <crees at FreeBSD.org> wrote
  in <CADLo8388+-47_nqrGWJs3ioGcwrjdKKE=N0-exuDWaZ-AFk2sA at mail.gmail.com>:

cr> On 6 February 2013 13:50, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:
cr> > On 02/05/13 21:01, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
cr> >> On 04/02/2013 21:08, Boris Samorodov wrote:
cr> >>> 04.02.2013 10:21, Dominic Fandrey пишет:
cr> >>>> On 04/02/2013 02:04, Danilo Egea wrote:
cr> >>>>> Well, there is this project http://code.google.com/p/freebsd-texlive/
cr> >>>>
cr> >>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/171571
cr> >>>
cr> >>> I use the patch from this PR together with the attached diff
cr> >>> and portmaster seems to DTRT with dependencies.
cr> >>
cr> >> Seeing that someone else actually uses it, I just attached a little
cr> >> update fixing a problem I discovered only a couple of days ago. I
cr> >> recommend you to install texlive-base again.
cr> >>
cr> >> Also I think it would be nice if you attached your patches to the PR.
cr> >>
cr> >> Regards
cr> >>
cr> >
cr> > Is there any chance this could be committed now pending a longer-term
cr> > rearchitecture of the TeX stuff? I just installed it on three machines
cr> > (thanks!) with no trouble at all and everything is working perfectly.
cr> > Waiting for some long-term solution seems to be making the perfect the
cr> > enemy of the good -- and this Friday will mark 8 years since the last
cr> > teTeX update.
cr>
cr> I would very much like to put Dominic's version in (for no particular
cr> reason other than simplicity, and it was the first I looked at-- I
cr> can't see any major advantage of one over the other).
cr>
cr> Hiroki-san, can we please move this forward?  I'm happy to test and
cr> commit this one.  If the worst comes to the worst, we could have
cr> alternative TeXLive ports accompanied by a USE_LATEX knob and
cr> bsd.latex.mk....

 I will start to commit a bunch of ports based on
 texlive-20120701-source in this week.  At first they are several big
 ports (much like Dominic's one), then will be split into smaller ones
 to support the existing TeX-related packages, and print/teTeX* will
 be removed eventually.

-- Hiroki