New version of TeX?

Chris Rees crees at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 16 17:32:16 UTC 2013

On 6 February 2013 13:50, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 02/05/13 21:01, Dominic Fandrey wrote:

>>> I use the patch from this PR together with the attached diff
>>> and portmaster seems to DTRT with dependencies.
>>
>> Seeing that someone else actually uses it, I just attached a little
>> update fixing a problem I discovered only a couple of days ago. I
>> recommend you to install texlive-base again.
>>
>> Also I think it would be nice if you attached your patches to the PR.
>>
>> Regards
>>

> Is there any chance this could be committed now pending a longer-term
> rearchitecture of the TeX stuff? I just installed it on three machines
> (thanks!) with no trouble at all and everything is working perfectly.
> Waiting for some long-term solution seems to be making the perfect the
> enemy of the good -- and this Friday will mark 8 years since the last
> teTeX update.

I would very much like to put Dominic's version in (for no particular
reason other than simplicity, and it was the first I looked at-- I
can't see any major advantage of one over the other).

Hiroki-san, can we please move this forward?  I'm happy to test and
commit this one.  If the worst comes to the worst, we could have
alternative TeXLive ports accompanied by a USE_LATEX knob and
bsd.latex.mk....

Chris