Output change of 'pkg info' after 1.2.

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Dec 6 08:29:35 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 01:54:22AM +0900, Yasuhiro KIMURA wrote:
> From: Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: Output change of 'pkg info' after 1.2.
> Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 17:24:09 +0100
>
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2013 at 04:36:00PM +0100, Michael Gmelin wrote:

> >> Just tested, pkg 1.1.4 vs. 1.2.1
> >>
> >> pkg info -q pkg-name is identical on both, but "-f" vs no parameter
> >> definitely changed and this seems like a bug to me.
> >>

> > It is not a bug, but intended as requested by a lot of users. To mimic the
> > pkg_info behaviour.
> >
> > pkg info -q shows nothing on purpose as well as pkg info -q is used by the
> > scripts like portmaster or by the ports tree and only the return value is
> > checked
> > 0 means something was found 1 means nothing was found.
>
> Thank you for explanation.
>
> Then I have one question. Is there any way to get same output as
> 'pkg info pkg-name' of 1.1.x? I tried some combination of options but
> could not find proper one.

only pkg query now.

pkg query "%n-%v" and to simply your life you could probably have in your
pkg.conf (since pkg 1.2)
alias: {
  whatis : "query '%n-%v'"
}

$ pkg whatis pkgconf
pkgconf-0.9.3

etc.

I should create some kind of polling to see what do people expect before fixing
a feature request, because sometime onces request defeats what others expects.

regards,
Bapt