[games/ofortune] CFT and pending issues

A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Thu Dec 5 21:54:41 UTC 2013

A short recap for those of you who are subscribed to freebsd-ports@ but
not freebsd-stable@: when I opened my inbox this morning I found a typical
WTF thread: the (hardly) "offensive" fortune cookies have been kicked out
of 10-BETA4. Since I (and many others) find this Just Plain Stupid (tm) I
created a port to bring some sanity back into fortune(6).

Anyone running FreeBSD 10-BETA4 feel free to test the port and comment on
it before I file the PR asking for it to be committed.

A shar "patch" can be found here:
http://www.skysmurf.nl/comp/FreeBSD/files/ofortune.shar

Or alternatively, a tarball can be found in the same place:
http://www.skysmurf.nl/comp/FreeBSD/files/ofortune.tar.gz

To extract the shar file:
# cd /usr/ports/games
# sh /path/to/shar-file

Or alternatively, to extract the tarball:
# cd /usr/ports/games
# tar xzvf /path/to/tarball

Install via your favourite method, e.g.

# cd /usr/ports/games/ofortune
# make install
or
# portmaster games/ofortune

PENDING ISSUES:

-1-
It's tentatively called ofortune. If you can think of a better name, then
by all means shoot.

-2-
The accompanying webpage is crap. This is no priority ;-)

-3-
I have found the instructions for changing and/or adding to the fortune
files but haven't tested them yet.

-4-
I wanted to mark the port as IGNORE for versions of FreeBSD prior to
10-BETA4. But this breaks stuff (see point 6) and I need to know exactly
what the version number (OSVERSION) is for 10-BETA4.

-5-
Currently the port installs the "offensive" fortunes into
/usr/local/share/ofortune, requiring every user to add that directory to
their FORTUNE_PATH (hence the pkg-message). I tried adding an OPTION that
would install it into the base /usr/share/games/fortune, but that again
breaks stuff, see point 6.

-6-
It appears that for some reason conditionals don't work in the Makefile.
For your reference, I have added the Makefile below, with the parts
commented out that I think should work but don't. In both cases I get
"Malformed conditional" errors. Any thoughts?

Regards,

AvW (fonz)

[begin /usr/ports/games/ofortune/Makefile]
# $FreeBSD$

PORTNAME=	ofortune
PORTVERSION=	0.99.0
CATEGORIES=	games
MASTER_SITES=	http://www.skysmurf.nl/comp/FreeBSD/distfiles/

MAINTAINER=	freebsd at skysmurf.nl
COMMENT=	The offensive fortune cookies that used to be in base.

###
# This is supposed to work but doesn't.
###
#OPTIONS_DEFINE=	BASE
#OPTIONS_DEFAULT=
#BASE_DESC=	To install into the base system rather than /usr/local.
#
#.include <bsd.port.options.mk>
#
#.if ${PORT_OPTIONS:BASE}
#DATADIR=	/usr/share/games/fortune
#.else
PLIST_DIRS=	${DATADIR}
#.endif

PLIST_FILES=	${DATADIR}/fortunes-o \
		${DATADIR}/fortunes-o.dat \
		${DATADIR}/murphy-o \
		${DATADIR}/murphy-o.dat

NO_BUILD=	yes
NO_INSTALL=	yes

###
# This is supposed to work but doesn't.
#
# 702106 has been copied from an example, I need the right number for 10-BETA4.
#
#.if ${OSVERSION} < 702106
#IGNORE=		For versions prior to 10-BETA4 this is still in base.
#.endif
###

post-install:
	${MKDIR} ${STAGEDIR}${DATADIR}
	${INSTALL_DATA} ${WRKSRC}/* ${STAGEDIR}${DATADIR}

.include <bsd.port.mk>
[end /usr/ports/games/ofortune/Makefile]

--
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.