How to start wine?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 25 08:07:45 UTC 2013

from dgmm:

> You can't do that

> See https://wiki.freebsd.org/i386-Wine

> For a workaround, see https://people.freebsd.org/~ivoras/wine/

I saw https://wiki.freebsd.org/i386-Wine

Other page seems outdated.

Can't do what?  I built i386 Wine from i386. But it won't run without X.

I could build an i386 installation to install on Kingston Data Traveler 16 GB or 32 GB USB 3.0, or install to a partition on a USB 3.0 hard drive.

That USB 3.0 hard drive is not bootable, so I would have to put a boot image (giant floppy?) where I could boot from GRUB and mount root on the USB 3.0 hard drive partition.

Problem with USB stick installation is frequent updates.  So if I want installation to be portable, I might install to USB 3.0 hard drive partition.

I have installed NetBSD (5-STABLE, 6-STABLE and HEAD, both i386 and amd64) to USB 2.0 sticks, and modular Xorg from pkgsrc too.

NetBSD source trees, pkgsrc tree and work directories are on SATA hard drive.

NetBSD is rather unstable on my hardware.

Tom