How to start wine?

David Naylor naylor.b.david at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 16:07:11 UTC 2013

On Saturday, 24 August 2013 15:12:57 Thomas Mueller wrote:
> I built wine from ports on a USB-stick installation of FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE
> i386, but it won't start.
>
> I tried to start from hard-drive installation of (from uname -a)
>
> FreeBSD amelia2 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #17 r254196: Sun Aug
> 11 00:36:49 UTC 2013     root at amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY  amd64
>
> I get
>
> Shared object "libwine.so.1" not found, required by "wine"

This is because ld is looking for libwine.so.1 using the 64-bit library path.

> I was able to find libwine.so and libwine.so.1 in directory
> /usr/local/lib, or as it is mounted,
> /compat/i386/usr/local/lib

I can suggest either:
 a) Making sure ldd(32) reports it can find the libraries (set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
and LD_32_LIBRARY_PATH).  Using those two environment variables should fix
your problem
 b) Use the binary packages provided from either ports (i386-wine) or
wiki.FreeBSD.org/i386-Wine.  These include all the compatibility shims
required.

> I tried as nonroot user.
>
> Kernel config includes the line
>
> options         COMPAT_FREEBSD32        # Compatible with i386 binaries
>
> What is the trick?  Should I try to boot the USB stick with FreeBSD
> 9.1-STABLE i386?
>
> I did not build Xorg on this USB stick.  Should I have?

Hmmm, the last I heard Xorg does not run from a chroot...  Wine would have
pulled in libXorg so you should be fine (make sure DISPLAY is set correctly,
usually to ':0').

> What is the requirement of FreeBSD versions matching?

Matching is very importantant, especially at the major version.  Make sure the
kernel is at a higher (or equal) version to the 32-bit binaries.