Status/version of graphics/png?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 26 12:05:25 UTC 2013

from Dirk Meyer:

> Hallo Thomas Mueller,

> > What is the status of graphics/png, now that FreeBSD 8.4_RC2 has been released and the ports tree has been unfrozen?
>
> > Will it get the long overdue update to 1.6.x; how much regression testing needs to be done?

> 1.6.1 ist still fresh.
> The API has removed all backwards comatibility.
> >From the 5500 ports we have about 500 that can build with png 1.6.x.

> The impact on the ports is still to much.
> We would have to patch > 1000 autoconf scripts.

> For now the FreeBSD port stay with 1.5.x.
> It was discussed with mmembers from portmgs@ to wait with the update.

> kind regards Dirk

Any idea of when or if png will be updated, or what has to happen regarding FreeBSD releases?

There is also png 1.5.15 .

I didn't know the API change was so radical; wonder how NetBSD pkgsrc was able to update to 1.6.x so fast.

It may be easier in Linux, since Linux is the primary platform of many open-source software developers, and much such software is Linux-centric, but I didn't think NetBSD would have an easier time than FreeBSD.  But then I didn't try the update on NetBSD, so I don't know if it really works right.

One could use NetBSD pkgsrc on FreeBSD, but it would be a shotgun marriage, rough and not really designed for FreeBSD.

NetBSD is unstable on my computer, Intel Sandy Bridge, often does not even boot, hangs at the login prompt.

Tom