ports-mgmt/portconf with new options framework

Jan Henrik Sylvester me at janh.de
Sat Oct 27 20:30:57 UTC 2012

On 10/27/2012 21:32, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 09:26:17PM +0200, Jan Henrik Sylvester wrote:
>> Since you converted sysutils/testdisk to the new options framework, it
>> does not depend on sysutils/fusefs-ntfs anymore, although I have this
>> line in /usr/local/etc/ports.conf:
>>
>> sysutils/testdisk: WITH_NTFS3G
>>
>> I thought the new options framework was backwards compatible and
>> ports-mgmt/portconf does not seem to be deprecated. I think some other
>> settings I have in ports.conf are still honored, although the respective
>> ports have been converted to the new options framework.
>>
>> Is there anything wrong with sysutils/testdisk or my use of ports.conf?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jan Henrik
>
> The use of ports.conf has completely change with pkgng, btw it has more more
> interest anymore and could be replaced by make.conf directly like this
> OPTIONS_SET=	NTFS3G
>
> or just to testdisk:
> testdisk_SET=	NTFS3G
>
> regards,
> Bapt

I know that I can use other means than ports.conf now, but if I am not
mistaken, ports-mgmt/portconf has not been deprecated, there is nothing
in UPDATING about the use of ports.conf having completely changed, and I
do not see anything in the documentation of ports-mgmt/portconf, either.

Could you please point me to the documentation of the complete change of
behavior of ports-mgmt/portconf you are mentioning?

For certain ports I see notes in UPDATING that due to the new options
framework the old WITH_* options do not work anymore, but there is
nothing on sysutils/testdisk.

Or is it wrong that the new options framework is backwards compatible
unless mentioned in UPDATING for certain ports?

I got the impression that I could not use the new syntax you mention
above for ports that have not been converted, yet. Since I like my
consistent set of options I have collected in ports.conf and kept
synchronized on all my machines, I have not tried to convert it, yet.
Neither in the porters handbook nor in the wiki, I find what kind of
backward and forward(?) compatibility I can expect and what has been
broken (or changed). Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Jan Henrik