'pkg check -d' showing missing dependencies after upgrading lang/perl

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Thu Oct 25 14:47:17 UTC 2012

On Wed 2012-10-24 14:48:59 UTC-0500, Mark Felder (feld at feld.me) wrote:

> > I noticed at some point after installing and switching to pkgng, then
> > upgrading Perl from 5.12 to 5.14 with 'portmaster -o lang/perl5.14
> > lang/perl5.12', the 'pkg check -d' command would still list some ports
> > with perl5.12 as a missing dependency:

What I failed to mention was that at this point if I ran 'portmaster
irssi-scripts' to reinstall that port, the dependency on perl5.12
would remain after irssi-scripts had been reinstalled. Initially I
thought this was because irssi-scripts depends on irssi, which also at
the time had dependencies on both perl5.12 & perl5.14. So then I ran
'portmaster irssi' to reinstall irssi, but the perl5.12 dependency
still remained. At that point I got frustrated and just ran 'pkg del'
on all of them, then began reinstalling them again.

> I think this is a bug with portmaster. Portmaster should have run this
> command on your behalf:
>
> # pkg set -o lang/perl5.14:lang/perl5.12

Ah! Thanks for that. I've since read the man page for 'pkg set' which has:

# pkg set -o lang/perl5.12:lang/perl5.14

which I think is the correct order. So I'll make a note of that. But
hopefully I won't have to do that again.

> This runs a query in the pkg sqlite database and update dependencies.
> This clearly didn't happen for you yet, so thats where your errors come
> from.

Well I think it worked correctly for most ports, just those few that I
listed earlier remained problematic and I couldn't figure out why.

I've since tried to replicate it in a VM and got nowhere. Everything
worked OK, so I'm a bit baffled.

Thanks again,

Regards
Andrew