'pkg check -d' showing missing dependencies after upgrading lang/perl

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Wed Oct 24 19:07:17 UTC 2012

I noticed at some point after installing and switching to pkgng, then
upgrading Perl from 5.12 to 5.14 with 'portmaster -o lang/perl5.14
lang/perl5.12', the 'pkg check -d' command would still list some ports
with perl5.12 as a missing dependency:

devel/gamin has a missing dependency: lang/perl5.12
devel/gio-fam-backend has a missing dependency: lang/perl5.12
irc/irssi has a missing dependency: lang/perl5.12
irc/irssi-scripts has a missing dependency: lang/perl5.12
mail/maildrop has a missing dependency: lang/perl5.12
misc/mc has a missing dependency: lang/perl5.12
mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin has a missing dependency: lang/perl5.12

Running 'pkg info -d irssi-scripts' would list both perl-5.12 and
perl-5.14.

Not being too familiar with pkgng's internals I decided I'd just do

pkg del gamin gio-fam-backend irssi (etc)

then rebuild & reinstall those ports with portmaster, but presumably
there's a better alternative. ('pkg del perl5.12' wasn't it, though. :)

Also I can't say for certain whether I did something incorrectly
(wrong order?) with the Perl upgrade or if portmaster is to blame for
the duelling dependencies. So consider this more of an observation
than a bug report - at least until I can reproduce the problem in a VM
when I'm more awake. :-)

tl;dr: this may be my fault.

Regards
Andrew