PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 18:48:02 UTC 2012

On 5/29/2012 11:25 AM, Olli Hauer wrote:
> On 2012-05-29 19:06, Doug Barton wrote:

>>> Doesn't make a difference as there is DEFAULT_MYSQL_VER and
>>> DEFAULT_APACHE_VERSION.
>>
>> The DEFAULT_ knobs give the system the ability to function in a
>> multi-version environment. The WITH_ knobs give the user the ability to
>> override the defaults to make their own systems internally consistent.
>> Whenever I set up a package-building system I always specify a bunch of
>> WITH_ values for certain key dependencies. I know that it works.

>>> Not too hard for leaf ports. But with ports that are depended on, there
>>> is always a default, whether it's named that way or not. You're just
>>> changing the problem slightly:
>>
>> Not slight at all. I have dealt with many iterations of mass-updates to
>> many systems caused by the silliness we're talking about here. If
>> everyone affected by the lang/php debacle currently had been able to
>> simply set WITH_PHP_VER= 53 prior to the default changing in order to
>> stay at lang/php53, the introduction of lang/php54 would have been a no-op.
>

> Perhaps it is a good idea to move php5 -> php54 and create a meta
> control port lang/php5 (like the lang/python port).

With respect to those involved, the lang/python port is a special kind
of problem. In cleaning up some systems where different people had done
updates at different times in the past I ran into problems where
lang/python was installed along with one or more (conflicting)
lang/pythonNN ports. Unraveling that caused a non-zero amount of pain.

The whole concept of category/portname where there are multiple versions
of portname is flawed. The DEFAULT_PORTNAME_VER mechanism works just
fine, especially for dependencies.

One thing that would make this easier for users is to flag the default
version somewhere, probably the pkg-descr, so that it's easier for users
faced with multiple fooNN ports to figure out which one to install.

> This will give the maintainer the ability to bump the php version and
> users the ability to define PHP53 as default in make.conf.
> As advantage users don't have to user other tools to fix dependencies
> and paths in /var/db/pkg/*

You don't need an unversioned port to do that. Witness the various
versions of berkeley db.

Doug