PHP 5.4.0 : lang/php54

Olli Hauer ohauer at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 29 18:26:07 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-29 19:06, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 5/29/2012 4:00 AM, Mel Flynn wrote:

>> Doesn't make a difference as there is DEFAULT_MYSQL_VER and
>> DEFAULT_APACHE_VERSION.
>
> The DEFAULT_ knobs give the system the ability to function in a
> multi-version environment. The WITH_ knobs give the user the ability to
> override the defaults to make their own systems internally consistent.
> Whenever I set up a package-building system I always specify a bunch of
> WITH_ values for certain key dependencies. I know that it works.
>
>>> I have been advocating for this for years. IMO we shouldn't have *any*
>>> unversioned ports for things that have multiple simultaneous versions
>>> supported. I've actually done this for the things I support (most
>>> notably bind*) for a long time, and have never had a single user complaint.
>>
>> Not too hard for leaf ports. But with ports that are depended on, there
>> is always a default, whether it's named that way or not. You're just
>> changing the problem slightly:
>
> Not slight at all. I have dealt with many iterations of mass-updates to
> many systems caused by the silliness we're talking about here. If
> everyone affected by the lang/php debacle currently had been able to
> simply set WITH_PHP_VER= 53 prior to the default changing in order to
> stay at lang/php53, the introduction of lang/php54 would have been a no-op.

Perhaps it is a good idea to move php5 -> php54 and create a meta
control port lang/php5 (like the lang/python port).

This will give the maintainer the ability to bump the php version and
users the ability to define PHP53 as default in make.conf.
As advantage users don't have to user other tools to fix dependencies
and paths in /var/db/pkg/*

[snip]

>> 2) All ports that depend on "the previous default version" are assumed
>> to be working with "the new default version".
>
> Hopelessly naive. And demonstrably untrue in the case of PHP.

Learned the hard way this weekend, I had to downgrade a couple of machines
since I have applications which are using the KOHANA framwork.

Luckily it was only a define in tinderbox build.xxx delting all php and pear
ports and do a full rebuild of nearly 2000 ports (different database versions
and archs)

[ snip ] ...

--
Regards,