FAQ on PORTREVISION bump?

Michael Scheidell scheidell at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 30 19:55:30 UTC 2012

So, lets start:
Am I the only one that finds he is too stupid to actually figure this
out? I think it is still the most confusing aspect of
committing/maintaining.

When to bump PORTREVISION:

    * If you think the end user needs to rebuild the port.

When not to bump PORTREVION:

    * If you think its a noop/waste of time/cpu for the end user to
      rebuild the port.

Ok, flesh this out:
examples

When to bump PORTREVISION (when you want end user to build the port)

    * Mandatory:
          o When package changes (make package)
          o When dependencies change (Adding USE_PERL/BUILD_PERL/GETTEXT
            counts)
          o When pkg-plist changes (except for fixing
            .ifdef/NOPORT(DOCS|EXAMPLES))
          o When the master port changes
          o When PORTVERSION CHANGES (must change back to 0, delete line)
          o When you want to force a relink with an updated (fixed) library
          o If a patch fixes something in the port
          o If you add new functionality
          o If you add/delete an OPTION
          o If you change the default for an OPTION
    * port committers have authority to bump PORTREVISION maintainer
      (implicit) if the master port/library port/dependency port
      requires any dependency to fit the list above.

when NOT to

    * just fixing .ifdef/NOPORT(DOCS|EXAMPLES))
    * if port was broken on any arch. (rebuilding on existing arch is a
      noop, and fixed arch didn't package anyway)
    * Fixing typo's in pkg-message, Comment
    * Updating port maintainer (new one or resetting port maintainer)
    * just petting portlint (<space> after name to <tab>), re-order sections

(notice I left out pointyhat.. if it is overworked, lets send more hardware)

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell