Boost ports update

Alexander Churanov alexanderchuranov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 21:22:21 UTC 2012

Folks,

I've read the conversation on ports/156253 ("Update devel/boost-* from
1.45 to 1.46.1") and decided to share current status of my work.

I have a patch for updating Boost to 1.48.0.
http://alexanderchuranov.com/boost-port/boost-145-to-148-v05.diff

Yes, I know that 1.19 is already released. However, I think that it
will be much more easier to update 1.48 to 1.49 later on than this
huge year-long jump from 1.45.

The patch includes fixes for several ports:
graphics/aqsis
net-p2p/eiskaltdcpp-lib
net-p2p/libtorrent-rasterbar-14
x11-toolkits/gigi

I was only testing on 8.2/i386. The ports, which fail after applying
the patch are:

fail because of outdated use of Boost.Filesystem
  devel/libYGP
  games/galaxyhack
  graphics/luxrender

fail because of Qt Moc-specific error
  astro/merkaartor
  cad/openscad
  math/py-graphtool
  multimedia/gstreamer-qt4

fail for other reasons
  deskutils/kdepim4
  devel/sdts++
  devel/simgear
  editors/koffice-kde4
  editors/libreoffice
  games/fgrun
  games/frogatto
  games/lander
  games/openlierox
  games/plee-the-bear

I believe that errors related to Boost.Filesystem are easy to fix. As
for the Moc failing on BOOST_JOIN, it requires patching Qt. I hesitate
to include the fix into my patch, since it would require rebuilding
more ports. The workaround (patch) is available at
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-22829 .

I'm not sure what is the best way to proceed with the update. There is
a set (maybe, mix?) of possible options: fixing ports, marking them as
broken, etc. I need an advice, especially from folks, who work with Qt
and the failing ports.

Let's coordinate with each other and decide what to do next.

Alexander Churanov,
maintainer of devel/boost-*