libtool question again

Roman Bogorodskiy novel at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 4 12:45:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

It's probably an old question, but I wasn't able to google up an answer.

I'm planning to update security/gnutls from 2.12.16 to 2.12.17. A new
interface has been added and the shared library version was updated
accordingly: current was incremented and revision set to 0, just like
the libtool documentation suggests:

http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Updating-version-info.html

This resulted in soname change from lib/libgnutls.so.47 to
lib/gnutls.so.48 and therefore requires recompilation of all the ports
that depend on gnutls; and, additionally, updating their's dependency
lines also. This is not required as all the applications that were built
agains 2.12.16 will continue working with 2.12.17.

What's the proper way to deal with that?

Roman Bogorodskiy