[HEADSUP] New framework options aka optionng

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Sat Jun 2 23:42:01 UTC 2012

...snip...

> I hate WITHOUT_NLS and NO_PORTDOCS with a passion. They work
> for 80% of the ports you are likely to install, so they are
> not a safe way to escape docs or NLS. Why bother? Seriously,
> could someone give me a usecase for them?
>
> Cheers,
> Uli

A use case being that we provide low electrical powered firewalls/servers
for small businesses, they use 1-4G compact flash to hold the OS & ports
depending on purpose.  Users use the services provided by servers;
administrators are hands-off after the primary build.  The command line
isn't used and hence documentation isn't required.  Anything non-critical
to the functioning of the server is removed.

Ideally we'd like NOPORTDOCS and other directives to work consistently
across all ports, rather than, as we do now, repackage the packages without
the things unnecessary to our mission, like: examples, doc...

I take your point Mel, we should file PR's.  I recall some ports failed to
build the package if doc wasn't included, which resulted in our
time-pressed solution above.
Dewayne.