Fix nvidia-like ports, help needed

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 29 04:19:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:36:26 -0800
Freddie Cash wrote:

> The problem is when tools like portmaster notice x11/nvidia-driver
> (not installed) has a newer version number than x11/nvidia-driver-173
> (installed), and the mesa/dri/drm ports have updates available, and
> then builds/installs them in the wrong order such that the
> x11/nvidia-driver port is installed first, the x11/nvidia-driver-173
> port is removed, and then the x11/meda/dri/drm ports are installed,
> leaving you with a broken mess.

This sounds like it's a portmaster bug to me - it didn't happen with
portupgrade or portmanager when I used nvidia-driver-173.

The consequences of merely building the ports out of order are pretty
minor in my experience. You lose OpenGL 3d hardware acceleration for
wobbly windows, games etc, and it's easily fixed by forcing an
nvidia-driver rebuild. The key reasons for choosing nVidia, vdpau video
acceleration and general performance aren't affected.

If you want to stay with portmaster, I'd suggest you configure it to
ignore nvidia-driver-173, and handle it manually.