portupgrade -> portmaster Rosetta Stone?

Royce Williams royce.williams at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 00:33:51 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>> It's not too hard to switch.  Read the portmaster(8) man page
>
> Yes please. :)  And that's, "read," not skim or search. I put a lot of
> work into explaining the what/why/how, which will help you understand
> the tool and how to get things done with it. You might not understand
> everything the first time through, but at least give it a read.

I appreciate everyone's answers, and will try to take them to heart.

I have started to read the man page, but honestly, even the 132-line
output of 'portmaster --help' is a little daunting.

I really did mean that I was looking for a Rosetta Stone - a reference
table with these columns:

* The desired result or task
* How to do it with portupgrade
* How to do it with portmaster

A great example is the (obviously much simpler) equivalent for UNIX-likes:

    http://bhami.com/rosetta.html

So far, what I've heard is that the Rosetta Stone I'm looking for does
not yet exist.  In order to learn it faster, I'll have to build my
own, especially for features that I won't be using very often.  Maybe
posting (or crowdsourcing) the results would be useful.

Royce