portupgrade -> portmaster Rosetta Stone?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 25 22:06:38 UTC 2012

On 02/25/2012 11:23, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 25/02/2012 18:21, Royce Williams wrote:
>> To ease the transition, does anyone know of a Rosetta Stone
>> table, or "portmaster for native speakers of portupgrade"?
>
> It's not too hard to switch.  Read the portmaster(8) man page

Yes please. :)  And that's, "read," not skim or search. I put a lot of
work into explaining the what/why/how, which will help you understand
the tool and how to get things done with it. You might not understand
everything the first time through, but at least give it a read.

> -- most of the central stuff is actually fairly close to what
> portupgrade does.
>
> A few differences:
>
> portmaster -r foo-0.99
>
> will update anything out of date that depends on the foo-0.99
> port.

That's not quite right. The -r option will update *everything* that
depends on foo.

> When you get a shlib-bump, a common idiom is:
>
> portmaster -fr libfoo-1.0
>
> which forces an update of everything that depends on libfoo-1.0.

Adding -f there will force the rebuild of everything that foo depends
on, and everything that the things that depend on foo depend on.
That's almost certainly not what you want to do. :)

Otherwise the advice in this thread is good. I'd add one more thing ...

READ THE MAN PAGE.

:)

Doug

- --

	It's always a long day; 86400 doesn't fit into a short.