9.1-RC3: xorg-input-mouse, xfce4-panel

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sat Dec 29 06:47:10 UTC 2012

On 28 December 2012 04:02, Kimmo Paasiala <kpaasial at gmail.com> wrote:

> It doesn't look like the FreeBSD ports SVN repository is used to its
> full potential. SVN allows branching and creation of experimental
> versions of the tree very easily and cheaply, yet all the experimental
> repositories references so far are stored in some external
> repositories, github or elsewhere.
>
> What gives?

Because then people who wish to create experimental branches of a
rather large ports SVN tree would end up populating the core SVN repo,
which is reproduced on mirrors (both ours and whoever else wishes to
mirror the SVN repository.)

So the current method in src/ is to work out hacks in local mirrors of
the repository (eg via svn -> git gateways) and then when it's time to
start some public work - create a branch, do the hacking, merge it
into HEAD when it's ready.

That way it can also be worked on by non-FreeBSD contributors. Just
like what people do for Linux, who don't have kernel.org accounts.

I won't speak for the ports people but just keep that in mind. There's
sometimes larger scale issues abound. :-)

And before you say "but but but but but but git!" please keep in mind
that there's no such thing as a central GIT repository that _everyone_
dumps their work in, like what would happen if one created an SVN
branch for projects (in src, ports, doc, etc.) Everyone has their own
git repository forks and they push patches to "more authoritative"
trees over time.

Adrian