9.1-PRE: updating of pkg-1.0.3 -> pkg-1.0.4 fails

Hartmann, O. ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Dec 28 13:45:08 UTC 2012

Last time I update ports on my latop was on Dec 20th. Everything went
well. Today I grabbed the laptop again, made an update of the ports tree
and try running portmaster.

The laptop is running FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #142 r244377: Tue Dec 18
07:29:18 CET 2012.

The update of pkgng is the first in line to be updated, but it fails as
you can see below. I do not understand the recommendations, since I use
USE_PKGNG=yes on that box without problems for a couple of weeks now.

I then downloaded the new pkg-1.0.4 sources manually and did a manula
update jumping into ports-mgmt/pkg; make reinstall.

This worked, but leaves the record in the pkg-db still on 1.0.3, so any
further portmaster attempt will end in installing the update of pkg
first, which ends up in the nasty message below.

I can not see this behaviour on any FreeBSD 10.0 box I have around!

What is wrong here?

Oliver

[...]
===>  Cleaning for pkg-1.0.4_1
You are about to convert your system to pkgng while you have ports/packages
installed with the old pkg_install tools.

You can choose to:
- keep pkg_install as the package management system by adding this line
to /etc/make.conf:

    WITHOUT_PKGNG=yes

- switch to pkgng:
    1) Add WITHOUT_PKGNG to /etc/make.conf
    2) Install ports-mgmt/pkg
    3) Convert your package database by running pkg2ng
    4) Remove WITHOUT_PKGNG from /etc/make.conf

*** [pre-everything] Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.

===>>> make failed for ports-mgmt/pkg
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> Update for pkg-1.0.3_1 failed
===>>> Aborting update

Terminated

===>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this command line:
       portmaster <flags> ports-mgmt/pkg devel/pkgconf