portmaster -w -r icu wants to install new ports

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 02:32:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Chess Griffin <chess at chessgriffin.com> wrote:
> Hi - I just updated my ports tree with portsnap and, per UPDATING, ran
> portmaster -w -r icu to rebuild ports that depend on icu.  However,
> portmaster also listed a long list of new ports it was going to build
> and install -- things like shells/bash and a lot from x11/.  Is this
> intended behavior?  I thought portmaster -w -r icu would only build and
> reinstall all installed ports that depend on icu.  Can't say I've come
> across portmaster doing this before but maybe I'm just forgetful in my
> old age.  :-)

This is probably what it is supposed to do. It will upgrade icu anjd
re-install every port that has icu as a dependency. It will also
install any dependency of any port that it re-installs that is either
out of date or missing.
Often these are really not required for a given system.

As I often do, I recommend using pkg_libchk -o | grep libicu | cut -f1
-d: | sort | uniq' to provide a list of the ports that actually link
to the shareable libraries in icu. Those are the only ports you really
need to re-install. Walking up the dependency tree will catch many
ports that depend on comething that links to a shareable, but don't
link to it, itself.

pkg_libchk is a part of sysutils/bsdadminscripts and I highly
recommend it for dealing with shareable library version bumps. It will
save you a LOT of time. If you just run hte script, it will catch any
other dependency problems that might be hanging around on a system,
but it WILL produce false positives for a few ports which don't rely
on the standard system tool (rtld) for loading sharables. openjdk is a
common isue and openoffice used to do this. Don't know if it still
does since I use libreoffice.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com