[RFC/HEADSUP] portmaster default -w (preserve shared libraries)

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Wed Dec 12 08:34:11 UTC 2012

Hi!

> > (As maintainer) I'm proposing to make -w the default for portmaster.
> > This will preserve old shared libraries when upgrading. This helps 2 things:
> >
> > [...]
>
> I have a few question about what happens if you always use this flag:
> * Do you keep every version of the shlibs you ever built on your system?

No, only those that still needed.

> * Are there any method to clean the unused ones?

sysutils/libchk or pkg_libchk from sysutils/bsdadminscripts.

> * What do we do about libraries versions that have security issues
> and that we need to get out asap?

Currently: The admin decides how he wants to handle this.

If there is a efficient way to handle this, most admins will use it.

I do not see an time- and cpu-efficient way, right now 8-(

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         8 years to go !